Friday, January 18, 2008

My Top Picks

I believe in supporting one's favorite authors, this post is dedicated to the books that I could continue to read again and again and the authors who I admire for creating the most real and incredible characters with the most engaging plot lines.


Kylie Chan - The Dark Heavens Series

The cover had been catching my eye for a while... but it was not until schoolies when I had entire days to myself that I was to pick it up and purchase it... I purchased the second the next day and the third the day after. I engulfed this series and was surprised not to have heard of it before. I was pleased to have discovered a series at the beginning of its popularity, and by an Australian author no less, and was quick to spread the word to other readers.

The only problem with enjoying a series that is so new, is that I know I may be waiting for the final longer than I was waiting for Harry Potter.

She uses her knowledge of Chinese and Australian culture to weave a reality so deep you find yourself questioning if that strange couple across the street are really human...



Anne Mccaffrey - Dragons of Pern series

It is rare for my parents to suggest an author this strongly to me. And on review my acceptance of my dad's challenge to read them all in a week was not so much ill advised as impossible. It did not take me long to fall in love with a world of the future but in a medieval society protected by majestic dragons.

I would catch my mother smiling knowingly as I burst out laughing at the idea of a dragon in zero-G, and I did not have to explain my sudden irrational desire to go to the beach because of the off chance there might be a fire lizards clutch. When she asked me who my favorite character was and I replied 'Robinton' she flung her arms back, 'Well obviously, everyone loves Robinton'.

For a book to transcend age differences so easily and to fully capture the mind of a teenager and, as I realized in talking to mum, hold it for many years to come in a mark of a truly great series and a truly talented writer. I still have not finished the Dragon's of Pern and have only just started the 'Damia' series. I still have yet to find a novel of Mccaffrey's that I haven't loved.

Agatha Christies
While I have never been a fan of the quiet little Ms Marple, I have never grown tired of the all knowing arrogance of Hercule Poirot. I have enjoyed Agatha Christie's stories both in the novels and in the television series. Having now read enough to continuously pick the bad guy early on I still will enjoy the story as Poirot slowly reveals the villain to the ever incorrect police and Captain Hastings.

I can not find a better way to describe her style than Classic Murder, I have not read them all and I am sure it is just a matter of time before I stumble into a crime scene to have the detective grandly announce that yes.. 'The Butler did it!'

Tamora Pierce - Song of the Lioness

I'm sorry to say that Tamora Pierce did not continuously capture my interest as she continued to release book after book. However I cannot forget the wonderful story of the Lady Knight Alanna and her adventures and struggles to become a knight.
Engaging and enjoyable, but most importantly memorable.
The skill in this novel is evident in the fact that I am struck by a sudden desire to go back and re-read them... it has been a few years. And I feel the need to separate the facts of this and her other series I loved 'The Immortals'... I shall have to wait until I finish this post.


Garth Nix - Old King dome Trilogy

Lirael has been for many years my favorite book. Although my friends prefer the first of the trilogy Sabriel. I have an emotional attachment to this book as the first thick novel I have ever attempted... and the reason for this being simply that the Librarians in the junior school thought the contact was too 'adult' and I was not allowed to read it.

This is of course the surest way to ensure that I will read the said 'adult' book, although it was a few years before I managed to get my hands on a copy. This book also taught me how ridiculous the librarians could be.

To say I enjoyed this would be an understatement... It was a cruel wait for the last book to come out but it was one I instantly had to own.

No comments: